Jeep Commander Forum banner

What do you think Wrangler owners think of us?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve noticed that Wrangler owners seem to have an attitude. Case in point, here’s a quote from an rv.net thread about jeeps:

‘’The Commander does not deserve to be mentioned in the same paragraph as the Wrangler regarding off-road capability. There is no comparison whatsoever...it's like comparing a rock buggy to a golf cart.’’

I pulled the plug in that forum because of that and other troll posts that got too annoying to deal with anymore.

I’ve also noticed little things such as when I went out in sand dunes. There were a few dirt bikers out there, but I could read their minds from the way they looked at me as I drove past them: ‘’What is that guy doing out here in that ‘pavement 4x4’ for?’’ I never did see them again as I zipped up a steep dune, and drove onwards through the dunes and sandy roads past them. (It was ho- hum for the Commander, BTW)

So… here’s a poll of what you think the prevailing attitude is from Wrangler owners about what they think of us Commander owners.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So much for using M$ Word... I still managed to leave out the L in WRANGLER in the subject line!! And I can't get back to it now.

**SIGH**

·
2,248 Posts
Jon, (a49erfan) can fix it for you. I also used to spend time in the RV forum. Been a while since I was in there. I don't pay much attention to attitudes, whatever floats your boat.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
It really doesnt matter to me what they think. Give me a few months and ill be rocking Rausch Creek with my Superlifted, tube fendered 7 passenger Soccer Mom vehicle watching all the wrangler haters jaws hanging on the floor. Oh I forgot to mention 36 inch tires in there.....hahahahaha

On a side note, Ill be buying a 2 door JK in the next year or so. I plan on installing a Full Traction 3" Long Arm suspension kit with 35 inch Nitto Mud Grapplers. The JK will be my Daily Driver and the XK will be 100% devoted to off roading. Ill drive it occasionally to work to show people I do own a real jeep!

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I still managed to leave out the L in WRANGLER in the subject line!! And I can't get back to it now.
Fixed! :eyemouth:

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I just joined a local group called the "Virtual Jeep Club", these guys have a lot of wranglers and rock crawlers, my first trail ride is this coming Sunday and I hope the Commander shows them a thing or two or three!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Best of luck to ya a49er!

I have the same issues but mine is more of a "Thought you said you brought your jeep?"

·
Registered
75 Posts
you guys are hilarious...

if we are to have such a complex about what others think, then maybe we shouldn't be driving what we're driving. Anyways, I love my Wrangler, I love my commander. I know the capabilities of both and give defend any and all commanders when people are knocking on them.

just my .02

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Regardless of what they think - the proof is in the pudding... or mudding.

Although my wife does want a Wrangler because they are cute. =)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I hate to say it, but you could buy or build a TJ that would out wheel a Commander 95% of the time for under 10 grand. To make a Commander run with a Wrangler you'd have to drop some serious coin on top of a lofty sticker price.

I can wheel my TJ with out worry - you can upgrade every part on the thing. Broken axles have been beefed with alloy shafts and drive flanges. I could order dana 60's from several different places that would bolt in. The atlas can be switched from fron wheel drive to rear wheel drive to 4 wheel drive - the newer cases even have multi gear sets. Suspension options are limited only by $$. The Commander lacks that kind of aftermarket support.

I feel the Commander falls in the middle of the options. A few easy mods make it a much better wheeler than the average 4x4 suv, but it just is not in the same category as a lifted and locked wrangler when it comes to the hardcore stuff.

·
Registered
283 Posts
When I'm in my Wrangler and looking at my wife in her Commander I think, "Wow, she's hot! And the driver's not too bad either."

As a TJ owner, I originally had that bad attitude towards JK drivers, until I did a trail ride with them. Now I believe in JKs and Commanders too. Not sure about the Liberty's.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
But that TJ won't have heated seats and cart five kids to the of the mountain - watching the DVD on the flip down screen.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Kind of an insecure post if you ask me. Every vehicle I've seen w/ a cult like, dedicated following likes to rib others. Harley guys rib import bikes, but still respect them for being on two wheels instead of a 'cage'. Mustang guys rib Camaro guys, but both are glad that neither are driving a Honda. Wrangler guys may rib Commanders, but we're both glad that neither are driving a Tracker or a H2. WTF ever, man-up IMO. If you feel that there's something to prove, then get the XK out in the mud and prove it. I own both, they've each got their advantages and disadvantages. I don't knock on either, and... to keep this from turning into another "Is the Commander a "Real Jeep" thread... when most people with any intelligence say the XK isn't a real Jeep, they're only referring to the Wrangler having an iconic, legendary status backed up by decades of reputation. The XK just hasn't been around that long. Another thing... my wife laughs because when I'm in the XK I still wave to the Wrangler guys, and about 50% of the time they wave back, I think a lot of the others don't even look... but I've NEVER had an XK driver wave at me in my Wrangler. Enjoy the Jeeps everyone. Every Wrangler guy I know would much rather be in the XK than an MDX or Pilot, etc.

Edit: Oh, (thanks for reminding me ped) I forgot to add...
:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:
:eek:hthedrama:

·
Registered
807 Posts
:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

there are plenty of threads about wrangler vs Commander..........
those with attitude are simply not educated......wrangler owners or Commander owner....

I love to drive both. they both have their place.

·
Registered
75 Posts
totally agreed....end list now, not worth any more time talking about....

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I can't let it end. While people are right about wranglers owners hating on Commanders and vise versa this is a forum and people should be allowed to rant if they choose to do so in a tasteful manner. Don't close the thread because you are sick of the thread, just don't read it.

Also I always like to read about expierences both good and bad from die hards on both sides as they always amuse me.

As for the challenge that a TJ XJ whatever costs less and parts blah blah blah... Its all in how much money you choose to put in your toys that limit their abilities.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I hate to say it, but you could buy or build a TJ that would out wheel a Commander 95% of the time for under 10 grand. To make a Commander run with a Wrangler you'd have to drop some serious coin on top of a lofty sticker price.

I can wheel my TJ with out worry - you can upgrade every part on the thing. Broken axles have been beefed with alloy shafts and drive flanges. I could order dana 60's from several different places that would bolt in. The atlas can be switched from fron wheel drive to rear wheel drive to 4 wheel drive - the newer cases even have multi gear sets. Suspension options are limited only by $$. The Commander lacks that kind of aftermarket support.

I feel the Commander falls in the middle of the options. A few easy mods make it a much better wheeler than the average 4x4 suv, but it just is not in the same category as a lifted and locked wrangler when it comes to the hardcore stuff.
Thats cool because last time we went to Rausch Creek everyone there had a lifted Wrangler, and I mean everyone. I like to be different and stand out from the crowd. And your absolutely correct, at the present time there really is no aftermarket support for the Commander. However due to amazing people like GetLost we are starting to get some parts on the market. And honestly just give it a little time and you will see a commander rolling dana 60's front and rear.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
The aftermarket is the key to the debate. A stock TJ or even the more capable JK are not that much farther ahead of the commander in off road ability. The wrangler is designed to take a little more abuse and avoid mechanical or body damage. The wrangler also has better articulation. The aftermarket can help the lack of protection on the underside of the commander but where the wrangler can keep all the tires on the ground the commander does not need to. The commander and the TCS can keep moving even if there are only 2 wheels on the ground. The main thing is to get out there and show them just how much the commander can do. If a guy in a jacked up JK mall crawler is too scared to try a mud hole or hill climb and you try but cannot make it then it makes no difference who has the better vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
In all honesty - a Commander will keep up with and go where the Wranglers go 99.9% of the time. For the loss of that .1% we get a comfortable highway drive and luxury all around.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts