Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
this is from the Arizona Crown King run.
3 of the 4 horse men.

(2nd climb we came across)

1st attempt:

2nd attempt: (a little faster) :banana_hitit:

2nd attempt: front view :banana_hitit:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
And now for the Commanders!

Jon first:

Josh next:

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
HELL YEAH!!! thats what i'm talking about! It looked like the commanders did a lot better than that "real Jeep" LOL!!!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Amazing shots, I had a good time and it really was easy to get up that hill. You will have to burn a disk for me.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Seemed like the Wrangler really struggled, while the Commanders just kinda yawned through it. Impressive. Nice comparison.

It would seem the weight of the Commander helps it to get better bite/purchase than the lighter Wrangler, which seemed like it just wasn't heavy enough even if it had plenty of power. It was throwin a lot of dirt.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Wow ,,,, although the Wrangler is shorter and has better articulation and clearance, the Traction Control System and ELSDs did very well in the Commanders !!

I guess that Jon's Commander (the 1st one) has QD-II and Josh's one (the 2nd one) has QT-II .... Am I right ? (I'm guessing this from the performance)

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
i bet the YJ doesn't have any lockers.

you can't beat the traction control in these things, unless you compare it to a spooled up rig.
For sure the YJ has no lockers. The Traction Control does a very good job in that hill, but I was impressed that it overcome the short wheelbase and light weight in the wrangler !!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I guess that Jon's Commander (the 1st one) has QD-II and Josh's one (the 2nd one) has QT-II .... Am I right ? (I'm guessing this from the performance)
You are correct, I have the Hemi and Josh has the 4.7

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
You are correct, I have the Hemi and Josh has the 4.7
Bingo :) ,,, I knew it because your tires spin was very limited (almost locked) as you have the ELSD diffs while Josh tires were spinning little more and the spinning was reduced by the breaks .

Now I wonder what was the clinking sound in your Commander (looks like firing sound) ?? !!

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Now I wonder what was the clinking sound in your Commander (looks like firing sound) ?? !!
That was the dirk bikes going around the hill behind me, you can see them enter on the left side of the video

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you are right about the TCS. Jon has QDII, and i have QTII. that wasn't what made the difference though.

He has better tires (BFG M/T 255/75/17 tires)

VS my (265/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler)

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
The tires made some difference in the performance, but for sure the main reason was QD-II has ELSDs which works like diff lockers in such a situation

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Great videos, guys -

Right pedal down and full speed ahead is fun to watch, but I like the finesse approach you both took much better and it keeps the quantity of exploding parts to a minimum.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i'm researching now.
i was in 4low. it locked up front and rear. so it should have been similar (other than tires).

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
i'm researching now.
i was in 4low. it locked up front and rear. so it should have been similar (other than tires).
You are correct about the Transfer Case, it does get locked in 4Low (send 50% of power to each axle) , but the front and rear diffs are open as they are conventional diffs. (they are not locked to maintain the exact same speed in both tires)

While in QD-II the front and rear diffs contain ELSD (Electronic Limited Slip Differential) which get locked when the computer sense speed difference in both tires in the same axle. (that is apart from the transfer case locker, which is actually another ELSD as well)

So they are not the same, you had only the transfer case locked, while he had all the three diffs locked!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts