1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
5,759 Posts
Anyone wanting to sell their Commander?? Needs to be a 2008+ 5.7 Limited 4x4. Bonus if it's lifted already.

Something like this would do: Used 2008 Jeep Commander Limited Napa CA - VIN: 1J8HG58298C111313 | Near Walnut Creek, Vallejo, The Bay Area

Might buy that one if they come down below $10k. Need to see why the CEL is on.
@PokerMunkee ;

Well, here we are 9 days later, I clicked on that link you listed and it's already gone.

If you find a Commander with the options you're looking for, that's in good shape and think that you are going to be able to just sit around and wait for the price to come down - you are sadly mistaken.

Not to mention that in my opinion, I think you'll be pretty hard pressed to find what you're looking for, for under $10,000 - and if you do, there will most likely be something wrong with it - or it will have a ton of miles on it and probably has been beat to death.

You can throw the Kelly Blue Book value out the window with Commanders, if you want a 2008 Limited or newer with a HEMI and low or at least reasonable mileage, that hasn't been beat to death - trust me, you're gonna pay more than $10k for it - unless you're very lucky and happen to come across someone that's desperate to sell - but I doubt it.

There is not enough of them around anymore - and the few people who have them and are willing to sell, know that they are a sought after commodity.

There is a demand for them - and a very short supply.

I think you'll find that the asking prices of the few nice, well-kept ones you might come across, will reflect that.

Maybe in another year or so. the prices will drop down to the range you are looking for.

Just remember, typically, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
B-U-M-P!

I have $7k cash to buy a Commander! Anyone have one to sell me?? :)

The hunt is on! Let me know if you guys see any good deals!

There is a 2008 500 miles from, has the 4.7 but no factory tow. https://www.ponyexpressdodge.com/inventory/details/46688530

Found a 2009 5.7 Limited in Denver that's beat to hell and back. I know $7-8k isn't much for a 2008 but I'm hoping I get lucky. Looks like they are going for $5-6k at auction.

·
Super Moderator
5,759 Posts
B-U-M-P!

I have $7k cash to buy a Commander! Anyone have one to sell me?? :)

The hunt is on! Let me know if you guys see any good deals!

There is a 2008 500 miles from, has the 4.7 but no factory tow. https://www.ponyexpressdodge.com/inventory/details/46688530

Found a 2009 5.7 Limited in Denver that's beat to hell and back. I know $7-8k isn't much for a 2008 but I'm hoping I get lucky. Looks like they are going for $5-6k at auction.
@PokerMunkee;

I'd suggest giving this search engine a try, this is what I used to find my Commander;

https://www.cargurus.com/?px8324=p2&sourceContext=cargurusTM&cgcid=2161&cgagid=910472&ax8324=63580845&type=GoogleAdWordsSearch&kw=cargurus&matchtype=e&ad=261318744220&placement=&networktype=g&device=c&devicemodel=&adposition=1t1&physloc=9008557&intloc=&aceid=&cid=141954540&agid=7773125700&tgtid=kwd-5133662569&fid=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwidPcBRCGARIsALM--eMPGfZ9jjnkfUn2q1jPWeT5Qd7a3x63qHW14T8R3tPn2Mn_PcPFwXcaAnmjEALw_wcB

·
Registered
332 Posts
If you are looking for that kind of deal use searchtempest and find a non dealer seller...
Be prepared to wait and jump on anything that looks promising.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx, that's a good site.

I'm going to ask anyone with a 2008+ Commander HEMI if they want to sell it to me. Ha.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just noticed it has paint/rust issues above the windshield. BLah! Any easy fix for this? Can you sand it, paint it, and cover it up with something cool/useful?

·
Super Moderator
5,759 Posts
Just noticed it has paint/rust issues above the windshield. BLah! Any easy fix for this? Can you sand it, paint it, and cover it up with something cool/useful?
@PokerMunkee ;

That XK is from Michigan which is in the heart of the rust belt & well known for heavily salting the roads when it snows in the winter time. I'd suggest you take a real good look underneath that vehicle for rust & other hidden damage; You don't need an XK that's going to rust out from under you. I can also see at least one small tear in the driver's side seat if you look real closely at the pics;

Just as I have posted in the new member section I'd do the following if you are really considering buying it;

To Anybody who is Looking to buy a Commander;

You can check to see if all of the factory recalls & campaigns have been completed for the Commander you're looking at (or for the Commander you have already bought) by clicking on the hyperlink below & plugging in the VIN; If you are still looking and have not bought your Commander yet, I strongly recommend you do this BEFORE you buy it;

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehic...ls/search.html

To get the factory build sheet for the Commander you are looking at, or for the Commander you have already bought, click on the link below and navigate to "Your Vehicle" click on "Equipment Listing" and then enter your VIN number in the box that says "VIN" and hit "Search". The factory build sheet will list all of the factory options & optional preferred equipment packages that your vehicle had installed from the factory when it was built.

Dodge - Contact Us

Alternate Link: https://jeep.custhelp.com/app/jeep/eqlisting_detail/

The difference between a safety recall and a campaign is this; a safety recall pertains to a vehicle problem that is a safety concern; a campaign is a vehicle problem that is not a safety concern, but, pertains to customer satisfaction.

Additionally if you buy a Commander, and it didn't come with an owner's manual, you can download and print a factory owner's manual from this website; here is the link - and again, this is from the same website I listed above, just navigate to the point where you select "year" and "model" of the vehicle you want the owner's manual for:

https://www.mopar.com/jeep/en-us/my-...t-vehicle.html

ALSO: This guy claims to have meticulously maintained this XK since he took ownership of it at 24,000 miles as the 2nd owner and if that's the case, you should not see any recalls or campaigns that have not been completed. If you do, that would give me pause & I'd question his honesty about how well he really maintained it.

Personally, I'd probably stay away from this one - but if it's in close proximity to you, there's no harm in looking.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks Blue!

I can fly to Detroit for $60 and drive it back home 1000 miles for $150 in gas. I'm still tempted to do it, but I'll be buying it sight unseen, huge risk. But I can't find anything in my area and I'm sticking to a 2009+ with the 360HP 5.7 and QD-II. I might offer him $5k and take the risk. I'd sand down the roof and repaint. I think I could make it look good, better than what it currently is. Maybe put a light bar up there eventually? I also see the rear roof crossbar is bent a bit.

I'm not seeing the rip in driver's seat? Here it is on ebay with bigger pics: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Jeep-Commander-Limited/263930887085?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160727114228&meid=33b41451a5c94bb98746cda392231019&pid=100290&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=263930887085&itm=263930887085&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

You can also view the AUTOCHECK. Shows two accidents and him buying it on 8/2/2010 at 23,519 miles. Looks like was a Jeep company car for first owner.

My plan is to do a nice lift with larger tires and put about 5k miles a year on it. Just need it to last another 5 years :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would ask for a close up of that rust over the windshield. Also pics of underneath too. Especially if youre gonna have to travel far to go get it. Ask for pics of any other imperfections that might not be showing up in the far shot pics. Also under hood shots. The whole works. I mean what would it take for the guy to snap some pics with his phone and send them to you. You might see something right off that says stay away.

·
Super Moderator
5,759 Posts
Thanks Blue!

I can fly to Detroit for $60 and drive it back home 1000 miles for $150 in gas. I'm still tempted to do it, but I'll be buying it sight unseen, huge risk. But I can't find anything in my area and I'm sticking to a 2009+ with the 360HP 5.7 and QD-II. I might offer him $5k and take the risk. I'd sand down the roof and repaint. I think I could make it look good, better than what it currently is. Maybe put a light bar up there eventually? I also see the rear roof crossbar is bent a bit.

I'm not seeing the rip in driver's seat? Here it is on ebay with bigger pics: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Jeep-Commander-Limited/263930887085?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3D33b41451a5c94bb98746cda392231019%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D263930887085%26itm%3D263930887085&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

You can also view the AUTOCHECK. Shows two accidents and him buying it on 8/2/2010 at 23,519 miles. Looks like was a Jeep company car for first owner.

My plan is to do a nice lift with larger tires and put about 5k miles a year on it. Just need it to last another 5 years :)
I just saved that pic & blew it up - it looks like a frayed tag on the driver's side seatbelt is what I was seeing - not a rip.

Your proposition is risky; buying something sight unseen is a BIG gamble - but if you got 5K that you have nothing better to do with and you want to roll the dice, that's your call - but again, I wouldn't recommend it - especially now that you pointed out it's been in 2 accidents.

Good luck if you do pull the trigger.

I'll share a story with you @PokerMunkee; When my 2008 WK Rocky Mountain Edition was totaled back in late June of 2014, after a lot of searching, I found another one just like it same color and everything - but was a 2009 with about 8,000 miles less than mine had and it had a Leather interior which I was kind of stoked about.

All the pics (and there was about 18 pics or so with the ad) made this WK look immaculate, the seats looked pristine and the whole 9 yards. I had some concerns because this was not that long after Sandy hit the Northeast U.S. and this WK was all the way up in New Jersey and I was in Virginia. It was at a used car dealership, but I talked to the guy on the phone a few times and he seemed like a straight shooter and assured me there were no issues with this WK and that it was exactly as it appeared in the photos that were posted with the advertisement.

I was so sure I was going to buy this 2009 WK that I took the train up there and just bought a one way ticket.

Well when I got there and actually looked at it there was a lot of cosmetic issues - scratches in the clearcoat and the paint, it had a couple of small dimple-size dents on the body in the fender areas and even some rips in the leather seats - that there was no sign of in the photos. Underneath it was rusting away like crazy; it took me all of 5 minutes to walk out of the dealership with my tail between my legs empty-handed but I knew it was better to do that than buy something I wouldn't be happy with that was going to rust right out from underneath me - and who knows if there were any mechanical issues, I never even started it up - just what I saw was enough for me to walk away. I'm pretty sure this WK was a victim of Super Storm Sandy just as I had feared - just a ridiculous amount of rust underneath it.

Worst part is I wound up having to rent a car to drive back from New Jersey to Virginia which was like rubbing salt in the wound.

After that I looked at one other 2008 WK with the 5.7L Hemi - which was also beat-up junk after I drove 3 hours to go and look at it -this one I actually test drove and it had a rattle coming from the rear and an awful ticking sound coming from the engine which sounded louder to me then the normal Hemi-tick and the interior was lets just see very worn. (I lost a $300.00 deposit on that deal; I gave the guy a deposit to hold it for me - he never mentioned the deposit was not refundable - and when I told him I wasn't buying it, he said the deposit was non-refundable; this was at another small user car dealership by the way in Western Virginia) It was after that experience that I decided to start looking at Commanders.

But, I'm glad things happened the way they did, had they not, I would have never found Big Blue. I was without a vehicle for 5 weeks - but it was worth the wait.

So take those experiences for whatever you think they're worth.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Honestly, Im not anal or ocd or anything but that rust would bug me. Unless it could be fixed without removing the windshield. Does it leak? Is it just peeled up paint or is it rusted through? Could you push it through with something?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He replaced windshield 18 months ago and they cleaned out rust and said doesn't leak. I'm a DIY guy and could probably make it look 100x better by kiling the rust, sanding it, primer/glaze, and then repaint. After I lift it, no one will really be looking closely at it. I'm going to offer $4200 and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
5,759 Posts
He replaced windshield 18 months ago and they cleaned out rust and said doesn't leak. I'm a DIY guy and could probably make it look 100x better by kiling the rust, sanding it, primer/glaze, and then repaint. After I lift it, no one will really be looking closely at it. I'm going to offer $4200 and see what happens.
I wouldn't touch it, but it's your money. Good luck.

Here is another guy with the rusting roof problem - this looks a lot like the XK you're looking at - but this guy is in Pennsylvania according to his profile and his rust damage actually looks to be worse:

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/9-problems-dealer-service/72849-roof-paint-bubbling-rusting-looks-expensive.html

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I offered him $5200 before the rust issues and was about it buy it. I now told him I'm not interested unless the price is too good to pass. I didn't tell him $3,500, waiting on his response.

Another one in MI lowered to $6k today: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/mySavedListings.action#listing=217277374

Trying to get more details on it. Also toying with buying a 2007 LR3 for under $6k. I like to live on the wild side!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.