Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just so everyone knows, when watching the "miles left until empty" when you hit below 18 miles, the counter jumps back up to 20. It does this twice. After that, once it hits zero you have at least 5 miles (that's when i made it to Wawa) until you're parked on the side of the road. :rolleyes:

just a FYI.

·
Registered
200 Posts
FYI, don't ever think that this is an actual amount. It is based (to the best of my knowledge) on the remaining fuel level (which is NOT exact) and your average mpg for an undetermined, but probably short (5 min?) period. Use it as very loose estimate. I ran out of gas on my Grand Cherokee when I first got it with "10 miles until empty". On the other hand, I've driven it to zero and went a mile or two more to the nearest gas station. From what I have heard/seen, nothing has changed with this feature; I use it on long trips when planning gas stops, not when close to empty and trying to squeeze more distance out of it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yeah, I wouldnt rely on this at all. I dont buy the "jump to 20 two times theory" The miles to empty readout varies based on throttle inputs, engine load, etc. Drive up a hill, it'll say 15 miles to empty..coast down the other side and it changes to 30 miles to empty. ;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I figure when it is a few miles short of 0 with light on, there is still 2 gallons left as the most you can put is 18 gallons

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have seen mine when low go up and down based on the incline of the jeep. I have driven mine once until it said 3 miles. I was afraid it was going to run out before I made it to the station.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think it is a great feature. I recently started using it. Granted I play it very conservative and at about ten miles, I will go in for a fill up. I wish other auto makers would use this feature. maximo:D

·
Registered
200 Posts
FYI, I was checking mileage yesterday during periods of city vs. highway vs. heavy traffic. In heavy traffic I had 40 miles left. Once I got moving at 30/40mph, I had 70 miles left. So, if you have 10 miles left at 65mph, get off and hit heavy traffic........

·
Registered
8 Posts
I generally look at what I am averaging per tank and fill up off of that knowledge rather than letting the computer tell me. I get about 16.5 mpg, so when my trip meter tells me I am at about 315, I figure I have about 20 left and should fill up

·
Registered
136 Posts
Jesters - you should be real happy - consider you won the lottery. 12 mpg here and 200-220 on tank of gas. Can we swap our Jeeps?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts