Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had xenon headlights in 3 of the last 4 cars I've purchased and am missing the nighttime lighting. Is it possible to put the xenon headlamps from the 300C in the Commander without modifying the headlight housings or would I have to buy a projector beam setup and modify the headlight housing?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
You probably wouldn't be able to pull them out of a 300C. However, you can buy a HID conversions from sites like http://www.xenonking.com/

Note that ANY aftermarket HID conversion is not DOT approved and may cause problems when it comes to state safety inspections (if you have them). Regardless, make sure that you aim your lights properly so as not to draw unwanted attention to your vehicle.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Is it like a replacement style bulb or are you referring to the actual OEM HID system with the projector in the 300C? Like Rubi said, you can't remove the projection unit from the 300C without breaking the headlamp housing. For this, you should pick up a damaged lense set from the wrecker's. You can get aftermarket units that replace just the bulb, but do your homework and check with people that have them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here is what someone did with their Honda Element:
http://elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18585&highlight=HID

If you do it, go with 4300k bulbs, they put out the most lumen's (brightest), 6k, 8k are not as bright and have a bluish, purple color. Lights that are blue or purple in color fatigue your eyes after long periods of driving. I tried 8k before and after 2 hours of driving at night, my eyes went crazy.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've added HID lighting to my last 3 vehicles. Have NOT done it to my wife's commander yet, but it will get done this fall. The brand that I have always used is Kaixen. I've been very pleased with them every time.

On my WK I have them in my lows, highs, and fogs.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Real HIDS.....I HAD THEM
Had

Reason I took them out was this.

I had a pair of real 9006 plug and play (from a kit). From my dodge charger.
I put them into the Commander, but I then realised, if I was to unlock the doors and you had the (headlight) on feature, and I would start the truck, the (reset) for the lights (as they go out to give me starting power), would cause the HIDS to go out, and then they would not start as the Jeep need to reset the fuse. (which could mean no headlights for 10-20 minutes) which means time to turn on the fog lights to drive home at night if you have them ..

The jeep has an auto resetting fuse, and this was a issue. I use to get in and say to myself (start the car, and then turn on the lights), after I disabled the auto on feature!!! :)

Then down the road I paid a guy for a wireing harness thing, which was supposed to give the HID unit the extra power to start up, as the unit I have needs a 14.2 voltage to start. At home on the floot with my DC unit the lights work on off, on off, flawlessly.

In the Jeep the volatage is around, 13.4 (battery voltage prior to start up) and the stock Alt give out about 14.2. So when the truck is running the HID have the start power, but with the truck off, of even with this resisteor add on unit, it was still an Issue.

I felt like the man, with the only HID Commander I had seen around, but the issues seemed to outweight the pros of having the HID units, so I switched back to Silverstars.

If you have a Grand Cherokee, etc and wanna try out the HID unit Im not using, Ill send all the goddies which cost me over 400 to you, and if it works out for you, send me 200 back. The harness alone was 150.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Also on a quick note. The HID kit I bought was from ebay. Its possible a more expensive kit (like a 700 hella unit), make start off at a LOWER VOLTAGE.

If the HID units BALLAST, starts the HID light at a lower voltage, like 13.2 13.6 I dont think you will have an issue. But most people, dont know the starting voltage for there units. I shall one day measure my fiancess Acura, as I like the Acuras HID unit, and I would think the car has a much lower starting voltage for that ballast since her HIDs come on where she unlocks the doors, and the cars off. So that make be the solution, just a lower volatage ballast.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I thought HIDs got pretty hot. No issue in the commander headlight housings?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I saw a listing on Ebay for this riken 993 HID kit which is to work in a 2006 Commander.

I am considering purchasing in the good of this forum and trying them out.

Since over 400 people read this so far, I will be a sport and lay the 220.00 in the good of all on here :)

You can always send me a dollar or any testing donations to
[email protected] at paypal :)
When I get them in, I take some pics of the kit and we will see how they fair.

Best Wishes, Wiley

Im also looking to purchase an Optima battery. They seem to run about 170.00 for the I (think) its a 38/78 model Yellow top to fit the 06 Commander.

I know the stock offers 730 CC amps at 0-

So any Hooks in the battery field or recommendations are appreciated.

Also Im still in limbo to go with a Nitto Terra Grappler or a Wrangler Silent Armor...I think the Wrangler is winning because of the size options (specifically 265/70/17) on my 2.25 lift from Rocky Road ...

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
WileyNJ said:
Also Im still in limbo to go with a Nitto Terra Grappler or a Wrangler Silent Armor...I think the Wrangler is winning because of the size options (specifically 265/70/17) on my 2.25 lift from Rocky Road ...
I love my Wrangler Silent Armors. I have heard good reviews of the Tera Grapplers too.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Re: Xenon's on the Commander? HID HID KIT

Okay, Here is a product install and review.

Please note, do one send me a dime. But Im still a team player remember that.

Okay the Kit

RIKENSPORT 993 (bought on Ebay 200.00 20.00 shipping)

The kit

Nice design and efficent.

Note because of Jeeps Polarity to the headlight you

MUST SWITCH THE NEG AND POS TERMINALS WHICH CONNECT TO THE STOCK HEADLIGHT CONNECTOR PRIOR TO INSTALLING.....

Placement of the Ballast. The ballast came with a cradel to install it into.
A nice extra feature, I placed on over the fan for the drivers side(good air flow space to me, and yet weather rain resistant).

The passenger side I used wire ties to secure the cradel to the frame bar and the included double side tape with gravity to secure the passenger side ballast.

The outcome.

I started the HID unit with both engine on (altenator power) and off (battey power). The ballast was noted as being listed with an input voltage of 9-16 volts which is excellent. I noted no issues. As far.

As for the HID bulbs I respect they will need time/hours to reach full color and brightness (burn in time) and I will wait till then and darker to take some more photos to post.

Here are two angles of the install at finish...

Hope this was helpful...

·
Registered
156 Posts
I was limited on the pics so here is one more.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Here aquick add on from 4 hours later.

I noted at nighttime, as its dark. That when I tunr off my light and have the engine running, that the HID are flickering.

I noted this to happen in my old HIDs.

I am wondering if for some reason, the Commander send out some minor voltage to the headlights?

It would be less that 12v, as the halogen didnt flicker.

But im sure more than 9v (as that is the active volatge for these HID ballasts.

I would think this will mean at daytime the headlights with flicker slightly as the engine is off, or maybe it has to do with the daylight sensor.

I will be measuring the circut tommorrow in the day with the old multi meter and see whats up. I will also try and black out the day senor and see whats up.

I do have the controls so there is no headlight delay and the interior illumination is set to off.

And advice prior to or relating to this is appreciated.

·
Registered
156 Posts
This was a nightime shot, but I should have turned the auto flash on the camera off, as it added light to fill the surrounding.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Thanks, thats an impressive upgrade. what do you think your total install time was?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would say not more than 30 minutes.

The lights as far as wiring are real plug and play. So the actual time to plug in 4 connections per light (the ballast, the main wire, and two lead to the hid light bulb) took about 4 minutes per light. About another 4 minutes to drill two holes for one ballast mount, and 6 minutes to wire tie the other one.

The other 12 minutes was just figuring where to mount the ballast cradels to hold the ballasts.

A real fast install, not comfusing. Just have to REMEMBER TO SWITCH THE PLUGS LEADS WHICH CONNECT TO THE FACTORY LIGHT PLUG. WHERE THE HIDS PLUG IS A RED (POSITIVE WIRE), THE JEEPS FACTORY PLUG IS REVERSED....I made sure of this with my polarity tester which was a whopping 2.00 at radio shack years ago and has served my dumb butt faithfully. :)

But I will have to address the flicker issue today.

As I stated eairler. When I turned the lights off last night, and had the engine running I noted a flicker, which means the jeep was sending current to the headlight plugs. Reason unknown, Ill have to look into that.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The morning voltage check.

Ok, heres the deal. I noted when the ignition is on, the HID lights would flicker (when the headlight switch was off, not in auto(a))

I disconnected one HID , and measured the voltage. I noted, Strangely, that the headlight was receiving about 11.92-12.00 volts, with the ignition on, and the headlight switch off. I also noted when i turn on the ignition, there was a residual volage of about 11.72 for about 30 seconds.

Mind you I have all the illumination features set to off.

I cannot fathom why the headlight plug/switch would be delivering voltage to the headlight then the engine is at idle and the switch is off.

The manuel sucks for answers, and there is not to date any fuse for the headlights, I have found. (compared to my 02 liberty which had two separate fuses for passenger and driver side headlamps). :)

Any ideas???

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
WileyNJ said:
I cannot fathom why the headlight plug/switch would be delivering voltage to the headlight then the engine is at idle and the switch is off.
Do you have the auto-on headlights enabled in the EVIC?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts