Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if our domestic model comes prewired for the international version side marker lights? Or, if not, any suggestions for tapping a set on to the existing wire harness(es)?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Tapping into the existing wires is not that difficult, drilling the holes and mounting the lens would be the hardest part but you should be able to do it if you can get the parts. You would have to have someone overseas order the parts (lens) and ship them to you.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would also like to do this. In heavy traffic this could help make our long vehicle safer. The XH would obviously be the best. I was looking at the Honda Pilot, and Land Rover Disco(1or2?) These would both seem to work,in size.

·
2,248 Posts
It is easy to tap into the running lights. I posted a thread about adding the sequential turn signals and the small LED lights on my tire carrier. That thread shows which wires to tap for the running lights at the rear. The front should be just as easy.

If you got hold of a light that had two filiments in it you could also add the turn signal function to the light. Years ago I added extra running lights and wired them as turn signals on two different Motor Homes. People ofter do not see the turn signals on a long motorhome if they are by the side. It is now very common to see the extra turn signals on the front mirrors.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8164&highlight=sequential+turn+signals

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So there is not (or nobody has seen) a wire harness dangling inside the fenders just waiting to be plugged in? I didn't think there would be, but hoped. Tapping into the running lights is exactly what I had planned on doing, but was currious how that might affect the current for both lights - dimineshed? What about if adding the turn signal function? Cutting sheet metal doesn't bother me, but messing with these high-tech car electrical systems makes me nervous. The lights I was originally looking to splice in were standard 194 bulbs on an 04 BMW 325xi, but those Honda Pilot lights may look even better (good scouting, D2F)!

·
Administrator
15,217 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sorry, nothing spectacular anyways. Picture a 1 inch led. Maybe, something like the led's on the tube fender kits genrite, sniperfab, etc..

·
Registered
135 Posts
This may be a little too late for your wiring help, but if you wire a standard incadescent 194 side marker light to your small side marker light on your headlight assembly, it will light up solid with the marker and flash with the turn. The headlights side marker light is wired across the front turn's 3157 marker and turn filaments so it will ground through the turn filament when the markers are lit, then flash alternately with the front turn (like the little headlight side marker does).

I think the wires were green and green/white.

This is also the reason it's difficult to upgrade to front LED turns.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts