Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've use the Commander for some small utility towing, but this set-up should be right around the max specced. Sorry I didn't get to scale the whole set up, but the tongue weight I figured at 630+[see scale confession below]

I pulled the A-piller cover for temporary mounting of brake controller and a trans temp gauge [I can't find a pic of the gauge now, and I took it back off for the wife's daily commute]

I forgot to fully document the weight distributing hitch install, but here is a pic of one of the several tongue weight checks [I know I cheated by using the jack instead of at the ball, but I went a little light, and figured it was better than not measuring at all].

I spent lots of time adjusting spring bar pre-loads and hitch heights, but I ended up with a trailer level to within 1/4 inch front to rear, a tow vehicle with a total ride height change [front and rear added together] of 1 1/2 inches and the most pleasant towing experience I have ever had including the first day in the snow storm.

I chose to put the trans temp sender on the line to the cooler for monetering temperatures at their hottest. Never a concern at these ambient temps. That's 5*F incase it's too blurry to read.

Pulling out of gas stations in 80* weather provided temps of 210* but quickly cooled back to 150* once underway. I'll add a fan for the cooler this summer before deciding if a larger cooler is necessary.

Here is a good shot back at home 1800 miles later

·
Registered
141 Posts
Looks like a nice setup. What kind of brake controller is it? Also, which engine do you have? How does the Commander do with that much weight?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Nice setup. and nice trail rig. looks like some kind of S-10/CJ7 combo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like a nice setup. What kind of brake controller is it? Also, which engine do you have? How does the Commander do with that much weight?
Tekonsha P3 brake controller, 5.7 Hemi, it did very well, 10mpg, 65-70 mph, plenty of acceleration to merge, or go up hills, and stable in the snow.

Nice setup. and nice trail rig. looks like some kind of S-10/CJ7 combo.
toyota jeep combo.
M715 frame, CJ front clip, Sonoma cab [like it matters]

·
Registered
269 Posts
Nice set up! Do you that your break controller fits right under the A/C vent. My neighbor has the same set as yours but his is tucked in the small compartment. Just a tip.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice set up! Do you that your break controller fits right under the A/C vent. My neighbor has the same set as yours but his is tucked in the small compartment. Just a tip.
I was originally planning on putting it there, but once I got it I didn't think it fit that well and was worried the boost lever would be hard to access. Plus I wanted it easily removable since most of the time this is my wife's. Plans are to cast my own A-piller cover to make the install cleaner for her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts