Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a good weekend to do quite a bit of mods. I will list them below with pictures. First here is a before picture.

Did the front bumper cutting mod. Absolutely love it.
Installed 4xG Matrix with Stinger and (2) 100W Off road lights.
Put in all new LED Interior Lights and license plate.
Replaced every exterior light with either LED, High performance Halogen, or HIDs.
Spray tinted my taillights and third brake light with VHT Nightshade.

Very happy with everything. Next up is a set of Moto Metal wheels. 17x8 0 offset.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Biggest thing is how solid the 4xG Matrix is. I feel way better having that on now with recovery points. The brush guard I had on was very flimsy and would more than likely rip off if I had to be recovered.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Biggest thing is how solid the 4xG Matrix is. I feel way better having that on now with recovery points. The brush guard I had on was very flimsy and would more than likely rip off if I had to be recovered.

I've been kicking this idea around too.

Of course, having to cut the bumper makes me hesitate - but I do like the idea of having some solid reliable recovery points.

The other option I have been kicking around, which is what I'm leaning toward, is have a custom steel front bumper made with recovery points and a winch housing because I know at some point, I'm going to add a winch to this set-up.

I know Bluelakeoffroad makes some pretty nice custom steel bumpers for Commanders.

I tried to have the factory front tow hooks installed - not realizing that the brush guard is already utilizing the mounting points needed to mount the tow hooks.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah that's why I couldn't do recovery points. I had the same brush guard as you. 4xG sells a winch add on which is nice. Steel bumpers are nice but for the cost I'd prefer spending the money elsewhere. Towards Christmas I am adding wheels and a knuckle bone tire carrier that will hold a full size spare with new wheel.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Yeah that's why I couldn't do recovery points. I had the same brush guard as you. 4xG sells a winch add on which is nice. Steel bumpers are nice but for the cost I'd prefer spending the money elsewhere. Towards Christmas I am adding wheels and a knuckle bone tire carrier that will hold a full size spare with new wheel.

Yeah, they are definitely pricey.

I think the bumper with all the options I want is probably around $1500.00 or so.

A custom steel front bumper and the 4 inch super-lift are both on my radar.

One of those 2 things will be my next major upgrade.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm still debating. I will probably run my modified OME lift into the ground but when it's time I'll throw a SL on it. In the meantime, I intend to 86 any steel bumpers and cut an inch off my front flares, put in custom wheel walls, and remove my third row HVAC. Once all of that is done in addition to pinch weld mod and front bumper cutting done, I can fit 35" tires. The good part is all of that is free and I just have to buy the tires.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I'm still debating. I will probably run my modified OME lift into the ground but when it's time I'll throw a SL on it. In the meantime, I intend to 86 any steel bumpers and cut an inch off my front flares, put in custom wheel walls, and remove my third row HVAC. Once all of that is done in addition to pinch weld mod and front bumper cutting done, I can fit 35" tires. The good part is all of that is free and I just have to buy the tires.

Yep, you sound a lot more mechanically inclined than I am....LOL.

I am not a completely inept at doing things myself, my issue is I live in Florida - but spend most of my time in Virginia at the various Navy bases for work.

The problem with that is I don't have a house in Virginia where I can keep all my tools and have a place to do my own work - my house and most of my tools are in FL. So it's more a lack of resources for me then anything else.

Now that being said, I'll admit there are some things I just wouldn't attempt to do myself, I know my limits.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh no don't get it wrong lol many of the mods I do are accompanied by a good friend and old forum member Matt. You may have seen his posts or how to threads. There are things I'll do on my own but the more involved it gets I'll ask for his help. He is honestly the most mechanically inclined guy I know.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Oh no don't get it wrong lol many of the mods I do are accompanied by a good friend and old forum member Matt. You may have seen his posts or how to threads. There are things I'll do on my own but the more involved it gets I'll ask for his help. He is honestly the most mechanically inclined guy I know.

I gotcha, you're lucky to have a friend like that around that you can bounce ideas off of and who's willing to help if you need him.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thought I would add the two new switches I put in for the lights. I will be adding identical switches for the train horn and compressor I'm putting in.

·
Registered
359 Posts
That's awesome, I've always wanted a train horn but it's rather low on my to do list at the moment. You should do some horn blasters type videos and put them up.
;)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Loving it! Looks awesome!

I really like the close up of matrix guard, I am really on the fence for it. I have the hidden winch mount and think this will suffice as opposed to getting a whole new bumper.

I do want the full steel rear bumper though. I see too many rear end wrecks and all the folks with a steel bumper seem to get away with less damage.

Besides, I will probably end up ripping the bumper on a trail run since I want to exercise my new suspension when I get back.

Dave

1 - 20 of 29 Posts