Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
XK & WK weight and weight distribution comparison !! for OME coils rating selection

While making a comparison between the weight of XK and WK in order to determine how much of weight the XK adds on each axle more than the WK ,, I found a strange finding !!

The compression was made on the base model on both XK and WK (4.7L & 4WD)

For XK: weight: 4968 lb........weight distribution ratio (F/R): 44/56....... Weight on front axle: 2186 lb.......on rear axle: 2782 lb
For WK: weight: 4630 lb.......weight distribution ratio (F/R): 54/46....... Weight on front axle: 2500 lb.......on rear axle: 2130 lb

The strange thing is that the weight on the front axle in the XK is less than the WK by around 314 lb !!

I did that to select the right OME coil rating (heavy or medium) as the heavy one should be used only in case there is constant load on the vehicle. And the exiting OME coils are only available for the WK only, and the XK should look like a constant load on the WK and the heavy OME coils should be used.

But after this comparison, I think the correct OME combination should be medium in the front and heavy in the rear.

What do you think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
Thats strange. I wonder what the difference is for that much weight? Any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
I see that it's a different ratio, but is that why? And why would it be different?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BigPoppaJNutZ said:
I see that it's a different ratio, but is that why? And why would it be different?
Yea ,,, its not only different, they are swapped .. I mean, in WK the front is heavier and in XK the rear is heavier.

your question about why the distribution is different is what I'm trying to find!!

what I could think about, is that the XK mainly differs from WK in the back, extra third row which sets directly above the rear axle and the XK is longer from the rear axle to the end of the vehicle, and that extra weight (which set after the rear axle) is somehow raising the front end and make the XK lighter in the front !!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Has anyone tried to weight his XK? to check the weight distribution ration!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
I don't think my bathroom scale will work, LOL

I don't even know where scales are out here. I would like to see how much it really weighs. I think they say on the tag thats on the drivers door next to the seal, but I am not sure. I will try to get out and check it soon if I get a chance before it gets dark.

Anyone know??? I would also like to see the difference in the weight between the different models 3.7/4.7/5.7 and and the deisel for the XK's and the XH's.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,103 Posts
BigPoppaJNutZ said:
I would also like to see the difference in the weight between the different models 3.7/4.7/5.7 and and the deisel for the XK's and the XH's.
Commander's weight:

gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) = the maximum allowable total weight of a road vehicle or trailer that is loaded, including the weight of the vehicle itself plus fuel, passengers, cargo, and trailer tongue weight.

base curb weight (BCW) = the weight of the vehicle including standard equipment, oil, lubricants and a full tank of fuel. Does not include optional contents or other optional equipment, the weight of driver, passengers or cargo.

All weights in below table are in pounds (lbs).

Commander Sport 4X2
GVWR = 6200
BCW = 4649

Commander Sport 4X4
GVWR = 6400
BCW = 4826

Commander Limited 4X2
GVWR = 6300
BCW = 4936

Commander Limited 4X4
GVWR = 6500
BCW = 5119

Commander Overland 4X2
GVWR = 6300
BCW = 5055

Commander Overland 4X4
GVWR = 6500
BCW = 5239
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
Nice, thanks jeep5253!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
Now, see that fast action? I'm glad jeep5253 is back...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
jeep5253 said:
Commander's weight:

gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) = the maximum allowable total weight of a road vehicle or trailer that is loaded, including the weight of the vehicle itself plus fuel, passengers, cargo, and trailer tongue weight.

base curb weight (BCW) = the weight of the vehicle including standard equipment, oil, lubricants and a full tank of fuel. Does not include optional contents or other optional equipment, the weight of driver, passengers or cargo.

All weights in below table are in pounds (lbs).

Commander Sport 4X2
GVWR = 6200
BCW = 4649

Commander Sport 4X4
GVWR = 6400
BCW = 4826

Commander Limited 4X2
GVWR = 6300
BCW = 4936

Commander Limited 4X4
GVWR = 6500
BCW = 5119

Commander Overland 4X2
GVWR = 6300
BCW = 5055

Commander Overland 4X4
GVWR = 6500
BCW = 5239
Jeep5253 is always helpfully ,, Thanks,

Here is the complete table including all engines (unfortunately the CDR is not there)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BigPoppaJNutZ said:
I don't think my bathroom scale will work, LOL

I don't even know where scales are out here. I would like to see how much it really weighs. I think they say on the tag thats on the drivers door next to the seal, but I am not sure. I will try to get out and check it soon if I get a chance before it gets dark.

Anyone know??? I would also like to see the difference in the weight between the different models 3.7/4.7/5.7 and and the deisel for the XK's and the XH's.
I have checked tag on the door and it tells the GVWR on both axles (not the curb weight)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,559 Posts
I think I will take mine to the rock yard after I install the GetLost4X4 bumper and see what the actual modified weight is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
a49erFan said:
I think I will take mine to the rock yard after I install the GetLost4X4 bumper and see what the actual modified weight is.
Try to weight it before installing the bumper as well.

Will you be able to measure the weight on both axles separately?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,309 Posts
If you wait about another month or two ARB/OME is supposed to have a kit for the Commander. At least thats what I read from another members post.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,559 Posts
07JeepXK said:
If you wait about another month or two ARB/OME is supposed to have a kit for the Commander. At least thats what I read from another members post.
A kit for what?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
07JeepXK said:
If you wait about another month or two ARB/OME is supposed to have a kit for the Commander. At least thats what I read from another members post.
They should do so, its only little adjustment on the existing OME coils and shocks for the GC to match the different weight.

The problem is that I have an 8 days trip beginning of October on rocky mountains and beach sand. I would like to have the Commander lifted at that time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
a49erFan said:
A kit for what?
2" lift kit (coils and shocks) like the one oldmacdonal got, his kit is actually designed for WK/WH
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,309 Posts
Thank you for clarifying that for me ahmed. The OME 2 inch suspension kit that is out now is designed primarly for the WK. The XK used totally different spring rates in the front and rear due to the different weight. Right now those that have bought the OME kit have bought the one for the Grand Cherokee. In a few months they will have one thats designed for the Commander.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,788 Posts
07JeepXK said:
In a few months they will have one thats designed for the Commander.
This is new info. Haven't heard of this. Can you point us to the thread.
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Top