Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should be taking a trip to Niagara Falls from Jersey in Thanksgiving... I just wanted to point out how nice of a vehicle the XK is for road trips. This is my first time to Canada and the falls and I am looking forward to it. Has any of you done this trip across the border yet?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Dabitz said:
I should be taking a trip to Niagara Falls from Jersey in Thanksgiving... I just wanted to point out how nice of a vehicle the XK is for road trips. This is my first time to Canada and the falls and I am looking forward to it. Has any of you done this trip across the border yet?
Niagara Falls is right in my backyard...I get up there several times a year...I'm sure that you'll enjoy it:D If you need any tips or the like don't hesitate to send me a PM...I'd be glad to do what I can

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
jeep5253 said:
Got your passport ?
You don't need one yet for land crossing.

Effective January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air to the United States from Mexico, Canada, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, (or if applicable, an Alien Registration Card, form I-551, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document), to enter or re-enter the United States.

·
Registered
717 Posts
jeep5253 said:
Good to know. When will it be required ?
sometime next year...if it doesn't get delayed again...they claim it'll hurt US/Canadian Commerce....I'm filling out my passport application as we speak :D

Here is a better answer...US Citizens Visiting Canada by Land or Water
The other date, which is when the WHTI will require citizens to present a passport when crossing the Canadian border by land or water, is yet to be determined. The deadline for the changes to take place, however, is June 1st, 2009. The deadline was previously January 1, 2008

·
Registered
717 Posts
rubicontrail.net said:
You don't need one yet for land crossing.

Effective January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air to the United States from Mexico, Canada, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, (or if applicable, an Alien Registration Card, form I-551, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document), to enter or re-enter the United States.
Well I hope he's not flying his Commander over the border.....

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The hotel people said they changed the password requirement to 2009. You do need one to cross by air now.

·
Registered
379 Posts
:eek: I heard they gave up the password for a secret handshake :D

Have fun. There is more than one crossing point in the area. I am not sure which is the fastest. Make sure you take some ID for the kids if any are going. They prefer birth certificates.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Air travel requires passport, land travel on the Canadian and Mexico border was pushed off until January 2008. U.S. Citizens will be able to cross after that date but you will need to apply for a Passport and keep the application number with you so that we can look that number up in our computer to verify citizenship when you are returning home. Until you have a passport you should make sure to have photo ID for anyone over 15 years of age and Birth Certificates for all other travelers.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I was just there two weeks ago.

Niagara Helicopter Tours.

I would suggest if your going with you lady visiting the botanical garden up Niagara parkway (which is the road which runs Nort the South) along the falls and water. Its north of the falls and you can get a carriage ride thru the Garden for 15.00 P/P and its nice.

It was a great time, and the XK is perfect for the parks and all. The hotels are pricey, and you can stay at a smaller hotel and just drive within a 2 block area of the falls and find parking from 3.00 for two hours to 5 lots for all day.

The area know as Clifton Hill/Falls avenue its the center of fun. Lots of shops, trinkets, Starbucks (NO dunkin Donuts in sight), and fun houses wax museums.

I did note in the area of Ferry Street and lundys lane some strip clubs and heard rumors the girls are topless, but I was with the lady for 3 days so i cannot confirm :)

If your into helicopters, the 80.00 p/p view from the 10 minute heli tour is awesome and a good way to get your bearings.

Up north there are alot of winerys about 30 minutes drive from the falls area.

If you found this helpful, when your comming back pick me up some "Icewine" as a gift. This wine is picked in the winter, sell for about 75.00 for a 3 pack of different styles and you can ebay one bottle for about 80.00 :)

But send me one if this was helpful , best wishes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
+1 on the ice wine!
I've been there six times (Just got the Commander, so it was too new to make the trip) and have stayed on the Canadian side 5 times. I made the mistake of staying on the NY side once, and won't ever do that again. Although possibly crack that close to Canada might be pretty good

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll be staying on the Mariott on the Canada side... boat rides are not running in November, but I read there is some light show or something... Got to do some googling...

·
Registered
717 Posts
There is a light show nightly at the falls..Also with you coming at Thanksgiving all the Christmas displays will be up. They do a great job with that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts