Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nitto Graplers Tires

My current tires came with my commander and still have tred. I will prob. not purchase new tires till these thin out a bit more. I did notice that Discount tire had Nitto Graplers and they come in 265 x 70 x 17 , same size i have now.
Eaven with the lift i want i would still get that size just to allow for mud LOL.
Does anyone have an opinion as to the stile and brand listed above ???

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Recheck your current tire size that came on your commander. I'm almost positive that you dont have 265/70R17's for two reason's. In your other thread you are taking about getting a 2.5 inch lift so obviously your stock. A stock Commander would rub everywhere with 265/75R17's as you dont have enough clearance. Also you really cant fit 265's on a stock wheel without spacers or you would be rubbing the ball joint bolt or be very close to rubbing it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow thanks again yes you are right it is a goodyear 245x65,17 ......so with that lift would the 265x70,17 fit? and also is it a for sure that it would not fit on rim?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
You would get some rubbing with the 265/70/17. It will fit on the stock rim, but you will need wheel spacers.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
As Crzcajun stated yes the 265/70R17 will fit on the wheel, however the ball joint bolt sticks out on the Commander to where you would definately need wheel spacers to clear the bolt. A lot of members on here are running 265/70R17's with a 2-2.5 inch lift and are very happy with it. I think a few have minumal rubbing on the inner fender well plastic but its not enough to really care about.

·
Registered
346 Posts
As for the Nitto's - I'm running the 265/70/17s and though I'm only about 6,000 miles into them, I have no complaints and would recommned them. Even with the 1.5" spacers, I do have a slight rub, but only at full turn and has caused no noticable problems.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awsome thanks ....this way if the tires do fit then i can get out into trail without the feel of slicks ...then i can get the rims i want .... this might run into another question LOL. i'm thinking a 17x9 .....would that same tire fit ? sorry guys

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I personally wouldn't recommend running a 265mm wide tire on a 17x9 wheel. Its really a perfect size for the stock 17x7.5's, the only problem being that our stock wheels dont have enough backspacing causing the tires to rub on the ball joint bolt. Nothing a pair of wheel spacers cant fix. I know UberCommander is running some 265/70R17 Bridgestone Dueler REVOS on a AEV 17x8.5 inch wheel and IMHO i dont think it looked to pretty. (nothing against the tire/wheel combo, it just didnt look safe in my opinion on such a wide wheel) They do say though that the 265 is the absolute smallest tire that should be on the wheel so i guess its alright. Honestly i think a 275 or 285 should be the smallest size you should put on a 17x8.5 wheel. Again thats just my .02 and everyone has their opinions.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The nittos are awful in the mud. They are an all terrain tire. That said they perform awesome in the snow and rain, they stick like glue. In the mud they gum up and you have no traction at all. It might they the heavy clay content here in NE but they suck in the mud.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
The nittos are awful in the mud. They are an all terrain tire. That said they perform awesome in the snow and rain, they stick like glue. In the mud they gum up and you have no traction at all. It might they the heavy clay content here in NE but they suck in the mud.
To bad they dont make the Nitto Mud Grapplers in a 265/70R17. Hands down that would be my next tire if they had that size. I just noticed yesterday that they make the BFG Mud Terrain KM2 in a 265/70R17 now. If you dont mind spending a few extra dollars id recommend getting those tires if you want a good mud tire.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
265 x70 /17 on 17x8

Can any one post picks of their XK with 265 X 70 / 17 mud tires (Mickey Thompson MTZ's or ATZ's, Toyo open countrey MT's, ect.)
and if you have them on 17x8 with 0 offset 4.5 backspaceing that would be GREAT!!!!!!

i know the MT ATZ's are just a bit smaller than the MTZ's (31.9 to 31.7) so i would like to see how they look from the front of XK and the side.......i actually don't minde the sticking out part at all , i helps get more mud on side of XK and thats always a plus :rofl:

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

oh ya i found some cool looking rims and cheep at discount, thet are the Black Rock D-windows they run around $105 plus instal at $15 each tire....nice right!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
The 265/70R17 MTZ's are 31.9 inches tall and the ATZ's are 31.7 inches tall.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can any one post picks of their XK with 265 X 70 / 17 mud tires (Mickey Thompson MTZ's or ATZ's, Toyo open countrey MT's, ect.)
and if you have them on 17x8 with 0 offset 4.5 backspaceing that would be GREAT!!!!!!

i know the MT ATZ's are just a bit smaller than the MTZ's (31.9 to 31.7) so i would like to see how they look from the front of XK and the side.......i actually don't minde the sticking out part at all , i helps get more mud on side of XK and thats always a plus :rofl:

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

oh ya i found some cool looking rims and cheep at discount, thet are the Black Rock D-windows they run around $105 plus instal at $15 each tire....nice right!

:SM127: anyone -anyone?
so i noticed in another post that a member got a responce from Black Rock telling him that the D windows would not work but it or they did not mention why? so i will call discount to see what they have seen and if in fact they do not work also i may try to get them to install a MT tire on and 17X8 inch rim w/4.5 bs and 0 offset to see how it looks and fits ....maybe they will do this for me >>>>i will post

·
Registered
480 Posts
265.70.17 on 17x9's w/4.53 BS, Nitto Terra-Grapplers (which I do not recommend).
The rims cost $369 for all four from rev wheel.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
265.70.17 on 17x9's w/4.53 BS, Nitto Terra-Grapplers (which I do not recommend).
The rims cost $369 for all four from rev wheel.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

wow that looks good ,,,,do you have the extra 1.4 " spacer up front for leveling ? and what is an extream ring ive seen this before?

nice stance , i like how that looks

·
2,248 Posts
Here is another one shocker. The tires are the same size but not mud tires. I have Spydertrax spacers to clear the bolt on the front. I have a 2 1/2 inch lift on the front and a 4 inch on the rear that settles because of all the weight on the back

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
your opinion please...Thank yoy all done!

hey guys finally i am goint to put new shoes on her .....i have been saving up and its not easy to part with cash now thats its all together......

my optins=
stick with stock and get 245x75/17 mt's also purchase 1.5 in spacers ?
get the black rock 909 series rims 17x8 and duractac tires265x70/17 ?

eagle alloys makes a really nice rim with beedlock look sortof a MT classic 2 look...but then again i may have to go with AT's and not MT's

i have round $1,400 to make this happen maybe i can push it to $1,500
.....if i go with the spacer rout i can potentialy save 3-4hundred..

but i would love to end up with 6 to 8 inches of lift in future and it would suck to be able to do this in a couple of years and have to purchase larger wheel and tires.....

am i making any sence ?? am i the only one thinking this .....
should i just shutup and get the frkn wheel and tires already.....:bowdown:

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
If you are sure you are going for more lift in the future, buy the wheels that go with what you want to do in the future.
I have the Duratracs you are talking about and I am really really happy with them. They are doing great offraod and don't make to much sound on the highway. You've seen them on my XK last year. Beter buy what you really like than regret it later and spend more money to fix your "mistake".

1 - 20 of 29 Posts