Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read on the roof basket thread that some of you are using Yakima round cross bars on your Commander. Their site says they don't fit the Commander. I went to a local REI sports store and they said there was nothing they could do with Yakima or Thule for the Commander except for a few attachments that would fit the factory cross bars.

I have 48" cross bars and #4 Landing Pads from my last SUV. How are you safely mounting the cross bars? Are you sure the mount is sturdy enough to hold like 2 kayaks?

I have alot of attachments from Yakima. I would love to get the Yakima bars working instead of the factory bars.

Advise, suggestions or pictures would be great!

·
Registered
126 Posts
tcc11tcc said:
I just read on the roof basket thread that some of you are using Yakima round cross bars on your Commander. Their site says they don't fit the Commander. I went to a local REI sports store and they said there was nothing they could do with Yakima or Thule for the Commander except for a few attachments that would fit the factory cross bars.

I have 48" cross bars and #4 Landing Pads from my last SUV. How are you safely mounting the cross bars? Are you sure the mount is sturdy enough to hold like 2 kayaks?

I have alot of attachments from Yakima. I would love to get the Yakima bars working instead of the factory bars.

Advise, suggestions or pictures would be great!
I have a Yakima rack set up that I use to carry my 16' kayak to the beach pretty much every weekend.

My setup: #5 Landing Pads, Control Towers, 66" cross-bars, standard attachments, land shark saddles.

First, use #5 Landing Pads, not #4. You will need some 1 1/2" round washers that you can get at home depot, place these in the channel, with the square threaded mounts under them. For security and extra safety measures, you can orient the landing pads so that they straddle the plastic inserts along the channel (I have mine with one bolt on each side of both the front-most and rear-most plastic inserts). The washers are necessary to prevent twisting and slipping of the square plates that are too small for the channel.

Everything is normal after that. My 'yak weighs about 70#s, is 16' long, and I haul a** down the freeway -- 80+ mph, with passing speeds close to 100mph.

If I get home before dark tonight, I'll try to snap some pics.

BTW, my setup was designed between me, my local yakima dealer, and the regional yakima rep. They agreed the only issue at hand was the small metal plates, and I provided the washers which I used with my previous ORU basket on the Commander. (The basket was too short to haul my 'yak on with my Thule bars.)

!c

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mounted my Yakima Rack tonight on my Jeep Commander!!! Yippie!!! I have Yakima accessories for kayaks (hullraisers) and bikes and I am soooo happy I can use them now. I did go to Home Depot and bought 1 1/4 washers from earlier advice and then found myself needing longer screws than what Yakima provided with the #5 Landing Pads. The longest cap socket screws I found at HD were 6mmx30mm. They worked just fine. I put the small provided washer on the top of the screw and then put the 1 1/4 washer before the square one they provide. It was a bit hard to hold them in the track while getting the screw to catch but it went quick after the first one. I did straddle the plastic piece in the track like you did. I was wrong about my cross bars...they are 58" and my fairing is 38". Worked like a charm. The rack seems very sturdy but I haven't put anything on top yet. Thanks for the advise. You saved this chic alot of money!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Protecting Factory Cross Rails

Has anyone found a way to protect the factory cross rails from scratching off the finish if you put something directly on them like a kayak or small boat. Yesterday I tested out putting my kayak and small boat up on the racks and they held fine. I put some extra rubber floor mats on the bars temporally for the test but this would not work at highway speeds.

·
Super Moderator
14,970 Posts
Has anyone found a way to protect the factory cross rails from scratching off the finish if you put something directly on them like a kayak or small boat. Yesterday I tested out putting my kayak and small boat up on the racks and they held fine. I put some extra rubber floor mats on the bars temporally for the test but this would not work at highway speeds.
I think there are foam tubes or wrappings that you can get to go around the cross rails. I have seen them on other vehicles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yakima Roof Rack Question

Do the original Jeep cross bars need to be removed or are the Yakima cross bars above them? Without seeing any pictures I am wondering about clearances between them.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Go to my garage and you can see the pics, the rack mounts to the top of the cross bars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts