·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea. I need to replace the fogs sooner or later because the chrome is peeling inside the lense but stock replacement is super inexpensive in comparison

·
Registered
106 Posts
My experience with yellow fogs...

It wont be as a bright as the white OE bulbs, but it illuminates things like signs, etc better. Its hard to describe. As far as being better for inclement weather, your headlights will overpower them anyway.

Fogs on these cars aren't real "fog" lights, they are more there for style. Also, do it once to it right...get the yellow bulb from Hoen or Nokya before slapping on yellow film. It will melt over time, guaranteed.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Fogs on these cars aren't real "fog" lights, they are more there for style.
Are you saying the fog lights on the Commander aren't "real" fog lights ?

·
Registered
106 Posts
They probably are more so than what would be found on some other cars. They seem to be fairly bright, I just don't know how useful they are.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Yellow light has a longer wave length than white. Some thoughts where that because air molecules scatter shorter wave lengths more that perhaps they might be better. But the majority say that the water molecules( fog) are so large that they don't selectively scatter the colors any differently.

The yellow " tinting" or filter over white bulbs then only reduces the available output.

I installed SilverStar Ultra 9005's and I have liked there performance so far. Some members have even installed HID bulbs in place of their OEM fog lights.

·
Registered
106 Posts
^ The longer bulb length would concern me. Im sure the housing can withstand the heat, but it might be blinding to others.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Fog lights by design are not meant to shine up into eye level of opposing drivers eyes. They are designed for a wide beam in the horizontal axis and a very shallow beam in the vertical. The objective is to not shine up into the fog but to shine under it. I ( so far) have never had anyone flash their lights at me thinking my lights might be to bright, or on hi. If properly adjusted with the low vertical cut off they should not be distractive to on coming traffic.

·
Registered
123 Posts
ive been using hids for 2 years now in low hi and fog with no problems and i love them! ddmtuning in the jeep on my hayabusa for 3 years now and 08 mazda 6 (girlfriends car)only low for hers 2 years no problems

i run 6000k on low and 5000k on hi and fog this gave a very bright white but not so good in the snowing time or fog so tried 3000k on the fogs these are yellow and make a difference in my opigion

sorry but im sold to hids now and ddmtuning is the place to get them for a good price and they last too!

·
Registered
532 Posts
i try it too on my jeep, i put the yellow bulbs inside the fog OEM lights, but there was less light than the original. Is nice just because is less problematic for the other driver who is coming in front of you. Btw at the end i put the HID 6000 J ice color even as fog light...is amazing and working great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
yellow bulbs and lenses make a big difference in the snow and fog. it dose not reflect the snow or fog. i used to turn off my headnights at night during snowstorms. my parking lights were bright enough to see the road but wasnt really safe for others. yellow fog lights with your parkings lights would make a difference. i will be switching my fog light bulbs to amber. also, ive used model car paint called "turn signal amber" to paint lenses amber. that works too if no amber bulb is available, just dont paint the bulb with it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
you can even buy the plastic to wrap the lens f yours fog lights....
if you do it in a good way the result is very nice...

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A couple things:

These are real life fog lights on the commander. There is a screw on the top that is springloaded to adjust them. All you have to do is turn them on and off at night and see how much of a difference they make.

The proper lense stuff is a lot more than 3 bucks and on that note will not melt and will probably last a long time. www.lamin-x.com

And one question, will HID hi beams work with my smartbeam headlights? Please dont comment if you do not have HIDs or smartbeams

·
Registered
532 Posts
A couple things:

These are real life fog lights on the commander. There is a screw on the top that is springloaded to adjust them. All you have to do is turn them on and off at night and see how much of a difference they make.

The proper lense stuff is a lot more than 3 bucks and on that note will not melt and will probably last a long time. www.lamin-x.com

And one question, will HID hi beams work with my smartbeam headlights? Please dont comment if you do not have HIDs or smartbeams
u dont need to have smartbeams to answer the question.....u just need to be a logic person:scatter::scatter:.
im using hid on my jeep, both low-beam and fog light and even if u have smartbeam nothing gonna change....
the system ll still work as before http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_smartbeam.htm and nothing gonna change if u have HID or not...

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you have digital ballast? I didn't know HIDs could fade on and off. I thought they just popped on and off for lack of better terms

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That link was useless. I don't think it said anything about HIDs. I know how my smartbeams work. I have been on here a little while buddy

·
Registered
532 Posts
That link was useless. I don't think it said anything about HIDs. I know how my smartbeams work. I have been on here a little while buddy
Sorry buddy if my answer look like rude.. I apologize for that.
I have a normal ballast but once i meet with a guy who put the same ballast on his grand cherokee with smart beam system...
so i guess you ll not have any problem..
On my bmw i have hid and smart-beam ( but are factory beam).

But u can disable the system?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 20 Posts