Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Will it fit? Yeah, why wouldn't it? Just make sure it's the 5x5 bolt pattern.

Will it hit the brake caliper? Depends on wheel design, though most wheels are safe to use.

Will your tires rub? Depends on the tire size. If you're at or close to stock size, no.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guess i should have been more elaborate,

I am running a rc 2", with factory rims and 1.5" spacers, and 265/70r17s

I would like the rim to to sit as close to the setup i have now...

The rims im looking at are the mamba M1 and it is 17x8 with 4.75" backspacing

How will these rims sit to my setup now

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
They will sit out 1/4 inch farther then your current setup. Do you have rubbing now?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
So it will just rub a little more. Nothing a heat gun, huge hammer or sawzall wont fix!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Doesn't a stock commander have 6" backspacing? If he's running 1.5" spacers now, wouldn't that be like having 4.5" backspaced wheels?

Taking the spacers off and throwing on the new wheels would put him at 4.75" backspacing, which is 1/4 inch less than what he has now, so the tires would sit that much further in, not out.

Am I missing something here, or did you just have it backwards 07JeepXK?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Doesn't a stock commander have 6" backspacing? If he's running 1.5" spacers now, wouldn't that be like having 4.5" backspaced wheels?

Taking the spacers off and throwing on the new wheels would put him at 4.75" backspacing, which is 1/4 inch less than what he has now, so the tires would sit that much further in, not out.

I second this... I'm looking at some 20x10 wheels with 4.5" on backspace... is that not the same as running stock wheels with 1.5" spacers??? so confused!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts

Yes stock wheels have 6 inches of back spacing. So with 1.5 inch wheel spacers it now makes the back spacing 4.5 inches. However he said the new wheels are 17x8 and the OEM wheels are 17x7.5 so you have to account for the extra 1/2 inch of the wider wheels. Which means if both wheels have the same back spacing and one wheel is 1/2 inch wider its going to sit out 1/2 more. Hense why I said it will sit out 1/4 farther then his setup with 1.5 inch spacers on OEM wheels because the new wheels only have 4.75 back spacing.

everything i have read on the stock wheels tells me the backspacing is 6.5"...

ill pull a wheel off and measure it.

Stock back spacing is 6".

I second this... I'm looking at some 20x10 wheels with 4.5" on backspace... is that not the same as running stock wheels with 1.5" spacers??? so confused!

I think I clarified everything for you in our texts back and forth! You have to remember about the width of the new wheels.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I just want to clarify a few of my posts. If the OP is running oem wheels with 1.5 inch wheel spacers then it now makes the wheel technically equivalent to 4.5 inches of back spacing. Now if he goes to a 17x8 with 4.75 inches of back spacing then yes the package will move in towards the suspension 1/4 inch. However since that is an ideal back spacing, it wont have any negative effect on clearance issues. At the same time since its a wider wheel, it also moves outwards. So basically the new wheels would both sit in and sit out a 1/4 inch more since its a 1/2 inch wider wheel.

Not a lot of people know this but an 8 inch wide wheel is actually 9 inches wide. A 9 inch wide wheel is actually 10 inches wide etc... When wheel companies list the width of the wheel, they are measuring on the inside of the wheel from bead to bead where the tire mounts. So even though we all know the oem wheels are 17x7.5 if you were to measure the entire width of the wheel it will measure 8.5 inches. Hope this help out.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I should throw up a link to the tire size and offset/backspace calculator I made.

Also note there's some confusion since WK wheels are 6.25" BS (50.8 mm offset) and XK wheels are 6" BS (43.8 mm offset). So need to be careful what info you're looking at.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yeah, lol. everything is good now! I will be getting some 20x9 Fuel wheels in +14 offset!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts