Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my first service performed by my local Jeep Chrysler dealer this past week and was quite pleased. They got everything I asked completed, including activating the HID's (which I haven't actually verified).

When I picked up the car, I asked what type of oil I should be using since I had just had the oil changed at a Valvoline place with conventional 5W-20. I didn't tell him that, but he scared me because he said there is a special "synthetic blend" they use which is necessary because of the MDS in the 5.7L HEMI. I searched the manual and this forum and found no evidence of that being true. Yes, the viscosity needs to be 5W-20, but does it need to be a synthetic blend, or a synthetic? My research indicates I'm ok with 5W-20 conventional.

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts
As long as you are using 5W-20 you are OK--it doesn't have to be synthetic. However, a lot of us here prefer the synthetic.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If the owner's manual doesn't specify any "special" oil additives/etc; use whatever you like.

I like synthetic if I plan on going longer between oil changes (every 10k for my Audi)
but if changing sooner I just stick with dino oil. Just make sure it is a reputable oil brand. I prefer Mobil Clean for regular and Mobil 1 for synthetic. Amsoil seems to be pretty good too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts