Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, at least, not directly, but my wife is going to kill me when she sees what I'm going to do to her Commander.

After reading all the commotion lately about the Rough Country lift, I have ordered one as well as a set of 1/4" leveling spacers from Rusty's and a set of BFG MT 255/75 17.

I found the tires on Ebay. Patriot Tire sells them brand new for $425 shipped to your door. It was a deal I could not pass up. If you have a Paypal account there is an 8% off code that lasts until the end of the month. I got them for $391 shipped to my doorstep.

I am so stoked.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Nice find Ogri!

That is exactly the setup I have planned for my wife's XK in the next couple months with the exception of using all terrains instead of mud terrains. That is a good setup.

·
Registered
269 Posts
That's exactly the set up that I have. I do have a bit of rubbing in the front wheel well. That should go away when I get around to bending the pinch weld over.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well, at least, not directly, but my wife is going to kill me when she sees what I'm going to do to her Commander.
Good lord, I don't know how many times I've said that to myself. I'm glad I'm not the only one ! lol.

I keep saying "Don't worry babe, it'll help it tow better".

I don't know how long this excuse will last.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I must say that is one good thing that is coming out of my divorce. I don't have to rationalize any of my Commander purchases to her. I will point out that she filed for divorce BEFORE I made any modifications to my Commander!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice find Ogri!

That is exactly the setup I have planned for my wife's XK in the next couple months with the exception of using all terrains instead of mud terrains. That is a good setup.
I probably would have rather gone with all terrains, but at that price for the M/Ts I could not pass up the deal.

The 1/4" spacers were on my doorstep when I returned today. I had received confirmation of my order but had not received a notification of shipment. So, This was the only part I was worried about not receiving in time.
Now, the lift and the tires are scheduled to arrive, one tomorrow and the next, on Wednesday.

I'm anxious to get this done. I feel like a kid at Christmas.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, everything has made it. I got the lift yesterday and the tires today. So, tomorrow it begins.

I suppose you want photos for proof?

·
2,248 Posts
I have just the opposite situation. Lee is always asking me if there is not something else that I can buy for the Commander. Maybe it is a way to increase her Jewelery collection. I often call her "The Princess of Paypal"

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have just the opposite situation. Lee is always asking me if there is not something else that I can buy for the Commander. Maybe it is a way to increase her Jewelery collection. I often call her "The Princess of Paypal"
You are right, it gives them a reason to go buy something also! The third week we had our Commander she told me our Jeep looked small and wanted to know how to make it taller and tougher. I was floored, she opened the flood gates!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's funny you'd mention that. The tires were sitting in the garage when I got home tonight where my wife had brought them in. I opened the boxes to look them over and Rochelle approved. It wasn't long after that she informed me that we were going to make a trip to Atlanta Thursday so she could do some shoe shopping.
Her shoe shopping could end up costing me more than the lift and tires. :eek3:

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Make sure to create a "Ogri's Garage" thread in the photo section and keep us informed of your future mods.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Nice work XK bro... looks great. I agree love it when my "better half" aprooves. Mine didn't like it until she saw the finished product, and she was blown away and loved it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice work XK bro... looks great. I agree love it when my "better half" aprooves. Mine didn't like it until she saw the finished product, and she was blown away and loved it.
Rochelle and I tried it out at Prentice Cooper today. She is all for it now. We had a great time. She even did some of the driving too and had a great time. She had never been wheeling before other than as a passenger.
Check it out here...
Prentice Cooper

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Great job man- I still can't believe how much bigger and better the XK looks with the lift and tires. They should come from the factory this way IMO. Going to take a look at your Prentice Cooper pics now.

Question for anybody- I don't have the additional 1/4" Rusty's spacer on mine- is it only for the front end and are there any concerns/issues with applying it to an existing lift? Read where several owners who have considered the same set up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great job man- I still can't believe how much bigger and better the XK looks with the lift and tires. They should come from the factory this way IMO. Going to take a look at your Prentice Cooper pics now.

Question for anybody- I don't have the additional 1/4" Rusty's spacer on mine- is it only for the front end and are there any concerns/issues with applying it to an existing lift? Read where several owners who have considered the same set up.
I agree completely. Jeep should have at least offered a "Rubicon" or some other name, version that was set up 2" taller and 31" tires.

The Rusty's spacer goes on the front only. Personally, I added it due to the fact that those who have added the Rough Country lift have stated that they had to grind down the bolts on the struts. I didn't want to do this. It was placed between the lift and the strutand the spacer took care of that. It also removed some of the forward rake that the Commander has in spades.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Leaving enough room to get a wrench on it, I trimmed the ball joint bolt back just over a 1/4". I have not experienced any rubbing as of yet.

Thank you, I am very pleased with the results.

·
Registered
422 Posts
looks good...cant wait for the next trip so my lady can approve the tires I like...not that it matters...just a more peaceful homelife i guess...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts