Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy went with me Saturday, camera in hand, for a little bit of Jeep testing. The sun finally came out after we ate a big b’fast at our favorite greasy spoon. We put the XK’s traction control to the test on a stair-stepped gully hill.

Other 4x4’s have created dig holes with spinning tires, making for 30 inch foot deep 'stair steps.' The Jeep rocks backwards into an uncomfortable zone as well as two wheel teeters as she climbs up and out. But, unlike others out there who have to go balls-to-the-wall up the same hill, the XK just walks up and out at 50% of walking speed. The gully is about 40 feet deep.

In one youtube video, I stopped half way up because I didn’t know that Mike was already filming. Then I just start movin’ on up again, then up and over. (Yawn)

Interestingly enough, after I’d climbed it a few times, we noticed there’s very little moved earth. We could see where a tire moved a little dirt before it lifted away into a two wheel teetering position. There was NO flinging dirt everywhere, it just crawled up and out like it had tank tracks.

There is another, more challenging place in the same gully, but father east. There was a group of people parked at the top, and since I’m driving blind with a windshield aimed skywards, we didn’t try that one. Next time out we’ll take more video, and try that place.

My only annoyance is that the videos looked okay in the viewfinder during on-the-spot reviews, but the hill looks as tame as a sidewalk's driveway cut on a bigger screen. I looked at the hill from the bottom before going up, then after we topped out, I got out and looked. It looked semi-impossible to drive up while standing there seeing it.

Note: a couple are still processing, so they might not work yet.

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s3D80I6PAQ

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQittl7Sx34

Part 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fe9s3KLgvE

Part 4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhd3QQT0ePE

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Nice videos, thanks for posting!

·
Administrator
15,201 Posts
First video no workie.

·
Administrator
15,201 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Great vids. I always hate it how the camera takes off 10 degrees.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Looks like a nice place to test out your jeep.Its hard to tell how steep it really is from the video. I have videos like that too. when you are there in person it seems impossible to go up, but the camera never shows the true angle.

One idea is to do like Phunkey did in MOAB where he to a video of walking up and down the climb to show just how steap is it to even walk up or down.
Also, I think hill climbs never look as steep when shooting video down from the top.

Looks like it was a fun test.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sunshine or not, the wind was blowing and it was 38 degrees. It doesn't make anyone want to spend a lot of time standing outside running a camera. :) Of course, I was nice and warm, sitting on a heated seat. :D

We'll go back there soon, maybe in a couple of weeks. The cam-man needs to be off to the side hand holding it and following along (with panning) as the Jeep climbs. Another person standing behind the Jeep and acting as a 'vertical marker' would help too. If we learned anything at all, a camera on a tripod at the top of a hill does a real nice job of flattening said hill. :( That gully is pretty much U shaped.

I'm getting used to the idea that I don't need to pull up on the steering wheel and step down on the gas pedal like I'm pulling on a pair of pants to get up a hill like that. In the good ol' days it was 40 MPH runs at stuff like that.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Well done ,, the last vid shows how steep the hill is,, the Traction Control does very well in such situations

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Where other vehicles power up an obstacle with sheer force and speed, the XK just finesses it. I wonder what it would take to require the full capabilities of QDII?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where other vehicles power up an obstacle with sheer force and speed, the XK just finesses it. I wonder what it would take to require the full capabilities of QDII?
One does wonder. I've seen videos of a CJ bombing its way to the top, with everyone at the top running for their lives as he goes screaming up. Then, two Commanders, one with QT II and the other with QD II just drive up at less then walking speed. They made that hill look ho-hum.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
were was this at
A place called ''Hover park.'' It's next to the Columbia river, a few miles out from town. Said town being the ''Tri-Cities'' a.k.a. Pasco, Richland, and Kennewick in eastern Washington state. (The 'other' Washington' :D)

Seattle is over the mountains and/or 5 hours drive away. It's NOT green here, it's steppe scrub land, mostly a dry desert. It's a lot like the area around Elko Nevada - hilly yet treeless.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
One does wonder. I've seen videos of a CJ bombing its way to the top, with everyone at the top running for their lives as he goes screaming up. Then, two Commanders, one with QT II and the other with QD II just drive up at less then walking speed. They made that hill look ho-hum.
Mine was one of those Commanders, I did in less than a minute what it took the CJ five minutes to do :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What gets me is the XK has 21st century suspension and/or a drive system that's computer controlled. Like the tracks we left on that hill... there's no violently flung dirt and rocks or dug out holes, just undisturbed perfect tire tracks as if someone rolled a tire up the hill by walking along beside it.

Then we have some owners of CJ's (and other various 4x4 SUV's) with drive and suspension systems that are holdovers from the 1940's saying the Commander is not a ''real'' Jeep.

Pardon me... I'm confused. ??? If the XK can calmly crawl up a hill that a screaming-RPM Wrangler can barely make, which one's the ''Real'' Jeep?

IMHO, extreme articulation isn't all it's cracked up to be. So a solid axle(s) can twist enough to touch all the tires down? An XK can make it up regardless of whether all of its tires are down, or it's teetering in motorcycle mode with two hanging in the air. I can see the point of vehicle stability, but for climbing something, who cares as long as it makes it all the way up without turning turtle?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And another thing...

My tires are measly little ol' P245/65R17's. I jokingly call them ''meat grinders,'' but they're highway running mud 'n' snows. Since I have to live with daily commutes etc. I don't really need molar-rattling howlers on the pavement.

I made that hill pretty easy despite my lack of a 10 inch lift with 44 inch Gumbo Monster Mudders sticking out of the fender wells. :D

Hmmm.. 21st century? Or 1940's?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I went out with 10 Wranglers on Superbowl Sunday and other than two obsticles that I had to pass on due to clearance issues, I was able to do everything they did. Needless to say they were very surprised.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts